Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Hypocritic Oath

Today, I had to go see a doctor during my 1-hour lunch break. I was late for my appointment by 20 minutes.

When I got there, there were no other patients. I sat outside the doctor's room, waiting and waiting. A nurse accidently left the door to the doctor's office open and I saw, to my horror, that the doctor was having a chat with another doctor friend of hers as I waited impatiently! Hungry, sick people, trying to do their personal errands during lunch break are rarely patient and understanding. Strike One. Then maybe her friend saw my glare, she left. I was called in and the doctor had the most cold and unfriendly attitude. She barely looked me in the face and while talking to a nurse outside, she said "SIT". It was hard to tell if she was talking to me or someone else, but it had to be me. It got worse, as she did her examinations on me (for my flu symptoms), she left the door wide open, so everyone walking by the corridor could see. Crazy ***** I thought. Strike Two. Then I answered her truthfully explaining I had blocked sinuses, severe headache, cough, runny nose, no sore throat and no fever. And she prescribed me with panadol, strepsils and one antihistamine. Dammit woman, if panadol and strepsils worked, I would not have paid such an exhorbitant consultation fee and come to see you in the first place. Strike Three.

I was angry at that doctor for most part of the day, for her "couldn't care less" attitude. I felt doctors had an obligation to be more sympathetic towards patients. I also thought, hey even *I* could do a better job than her in terms of being concerned for a patient. I even typed a "The world can do a lot better if there were a few extra doctors who gave a shit" status on Facebook, but something hit me just before I hit the "Share" button.

These were also humans, just like us. Subject to many moods, probably worrying about other issues. Not every doctor can be expected to be selfless and at the community's disposal like that. I for one, can't quite fuss over not being treated the way I would have liked. For them to tend to patients and be concerned/ pretend to be concerned can't be that easy, especially with long shifts and many patient appointments throughout the day. Imagine the number of times a day we complain over our jobs, why can't they have the same feelings about their job? Personality tests are not a pre-requisite for medical students so not everyone who tops the class and has the finances to do a medical degree are inclined towards such a demanding and selfless profession.

So if one day you met a doctor who made you smile through your pain and made you feel better almost instantly, know that you just met a noble soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment