Search This Blog

Monday, April 25, 2011

"Music is what feelings sound like"

Music is such a powerful uniting force. Something so basic as sound produced at different frequencies has given rise to so many combinations of musical pieces, and this has transcended time, traditions, instruments, languages, cultures and styles. Even with thousands of years of history, music is still evolving with endless possibilities.

Earlier in the day, I attended a "jamming session" with a group of mostly professional artistes and I feel really good about being a small part of a piece that I'll be playing with them. Truth is, my amateur skills will be safely masked by these pros on the big day. And in an ordinary practice session, I don't speak the language they speak so I miss out on 90% of the dialogues! But the music, I do understand. Fortunate experiences of closely watching people such as these and the bounds to which one can push oneself in this line, is an endless source of inspiration.

I've also bumped into plenty of people who have given me encouraging nudges to keep going;

A mom who was the first one to acknowledge my affinity to screechy instruments and get me my first violin in 1995 with her hard-earned pocket money. A very supportive sis who just knows what to do without having me to ask for any support. Several teachers who didn't give up on me in the face of challenges. Another family, whose coincidental aquaintance marked the beginning of a solid base foundation in this hobby. The ex, for walking the many extra miles to pick and drop me off at classes and for sitting patiently in empty car parks at night, studying under dim street lights as I practised my notes. Friends who patiently listened to me play (often with alot of feedback from the microphones!) on webcam, so that I may get over the fear of playing to audiences, friends who came to watch concerts for support (yeah, you know who you are!), and many others who have walked hand-in-hand in this journey...

So, yes, Thank YOU.



No comments:

Post a Comment