Search This Blog

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Small Talk

Today I was awfully pissed off at a "friend" from work. Lately, she has been very distant and she is undoutedly passing a very destructive phase in her romantic life. Add to it, she is also quite manipulative. Work has been very hectic lately and my lunch breaks are reduced in half. I come to the lunch room to enjoy my lunch in peace. But no, I can't do that; there is a rowdy bunch who laughs so loudly, you can hardly hear your own thoughts. To add to that, my "friend", starts updating me on her love life without any invitation (I DON'T GIVE A DAMN, WOMAN. I HAVE LOST TRACK OF YOUR BOYFRIENDS AND THEIR BIOS. NOW LET ME EAT MY FOOD IN PEACE), as I play with my food longingly, trying to sneak in a spoonful of food when she stops talking for a bit.

Oh no, I am not that nice. I may feel sorry for her later and have her unload her troubles on me willingly, but not today. In the end, I was forced to listen to her simply because I had no other place to go and eat in a hurry. And she had no clue. URGH.

I very much dislike having "small talk" with people I don't associate with much. It is too fake most of the time:

X: HI (with much enthusiasm), how ARE you?
Me (for the hundredth time today): I am good, thanks *forced smile*.
X: How was your weekend?
Me: It was good (Quick Shu, try to recall what you did) *forced smile* (Shit, I can't remember! :O). I relaxed at home *forced smile* (OH OH I know, try the weather!). It is getting hotter now, can barely go out to do anything! (which is a lie, the weather is still bearable).
X: That's right! (loud laughter, hard to tell if it is real or forced), which is why I did _______ and ________ with ________ on Friday. OMG it was SO exciting. Blah Blah Blah. Next weekend, I want to do _______ at _______ with ________. And more Blah Blah Blahs.
Me: *forced smile* (Good grief. HELP) *another forced smile*
X: So how is that report coming along?
Me: (Finally, thought you'd never ask). Oh? That is coming along well. I should be done by lunch time. I will come and see you about it later today.
X: Thanks. I'll catch up later.
Me: Great, you have a good day. (Whew)
X: Yeah, you too.

Walks past, to notice another small talker approaching. (Quick Shu, make a dash for it!)

*WHIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ*

(Success! :D)

No comments:

Post a Comment