Search This Blog

Saturday, October 16, 2010

The stone carver

Today has been a fruitful day; much work done and less conflict.

The other day, I had a very stimulating and enlightening conversation with a very opiniated friend of mine :) It was about how conveniently we (I) blamed our parents for our current weaknesses and challenges. I stuck with this conviction so hard for so many years, out of convenience and cowardliness on my part. But something that came out of that conversation hit me in a way that I don't think I can blame them again. Now I have a broader perspective; I see the immense amount of courage and hardship my parents endured to bring us up, with no right guides and very little help. If we are in a position and level of maturity to indentify root causes of our current limitations, we may as well be able to find ways to overcome such challenges and assume responsibility for our own actions.

Though it is part of an insignificant past now, today reminds me of the day, some years back, I said 'yes' to my then boyfriend who asked me out. In our immaturity and innocence, little did we know of the turbulent journey we would take in the next 5 years. Looking back, from a fresh and nearly-objective perspective, it was all but a challenging phase with much lessons learnt and moulding of character. Why do I mention it? Because my mind loves to glorify memories of highly emotional natures.

I am always affected by animal cruelty and wonder at the level of thinking which can lead one to such acts. Two days ago, two cats were abandoned at a car park near our residential building. We managed to feed them some milk. That was the least we could do as we were not in a position to adopt them. One of them was a kitten, probably a month old and still suckling from its mother when it was ripped away and abandoned. On the first night, it screamed its heart out for its mother the whole night. The very next day it was gone. It could have been run over or even adopted (I hope it was the latter). The other cat however, was more mature and able to adapt, so it still survives in the neighbourhood. If it does not face any abuse or vehicle accidents, it will survive. Life is just too harsh for some.

Too sleepy to organise other thoughts right now.... nite!

No comments:

Post a Comment