Search This Blog

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Loves her Engines

The radio stations are back! What a great feeling to be back driving while listening to loud music... just to recap, a few days back, an ex-ruler passed on and during the three days of national mourning, all TV and radio channels stopped broadcasting and played melancholic classical music and/or prayers ALL DAY. It drove me to near-insanity to drive on those 3 days.

And yes, referring to the title, I have newfound love for the 3.7L engine of my Jeep!! It is so powerful and she accelerates with very little effort. Not intending to sound like a brag, let me explain. Recently, I got a lift from one of my colleagues. The 2.3L car made such alot of noise (VRRRRROOOOOM) just to accelerate to 60kmph and here I thought with that sound, we must be going at 120kmph (I was wrong). Sure, the Jeep drinks alot of petrol but in my opinion, it is a small price to pay (in this country) to drive a powerful and hardy 4WD vehicle. Also when I am at the forefront of a traffic signal, and just after the light turns green, there is always a huge gap between me and all the tiny cars at the back, because the pick up is faster. Of course, after a few seconds, the rest of them catch up. Nevertheless, I have forever decided I will never own a small (cramped) car, if I had a choice in picking it.

6 students in the music class today, argh!! One hour to be divided between 6 students; some were ignored and some got more time with the teacher (I was one who got more time). Disappointing still, to see the ones who were ignored. But the positive thing is that I realised it is good to be going from the lowly basics. As I have not had any formal systematic training earlier in the type of music I play most, I have missed on many little but valuable techniques. So here's is my second chance.

In my constant search for validation and assurance, I took a "Personality Disorder Test". Surely, these are not a 100% accurate, but here are the results:

Paranoid: Low
Schizoid: Low
Schizotypal: Moderate
Antisocial: Low
Borderline: Very High
Histrionic: High
Narcissistic: Moderate
Avoidant: Very High
Dependent: Very High
Obsessive-Compulsive: High

So we are all but a bunch of different complexes at different degrees. Gives variety to this world, innit?
 
On to other interesting things, I discovered today that there were 4 videos on Youtube of some of my old concerts when I used to play in an orchestra. One of them was so unclear, you can't even make out any of the faces, but the rest were good stuff. Yay, Shu, you are on the Internet performing like a little Star!! 
 
We must try to keep in touch with people we care about. It is so hard with our schedules and geographical distances, but there is the internet and it is a cheap way to even drop a "Hi" to let them know you still think about them.
 
It is very important to develop good and considerate habits while we are able and young. Not because they are supposed to be good. But because, eventually you grow old and it gets harder to change less desirable habits. We have a guest at home these days and he (in his late 60's) leaves his plates and cups around for somebody to wash after him, eventhough he is perfectly capable of doing it himself and is perfectly aware there are no domestic workers paid to do that job in the house. Little does he realise that people around him resent his selfish ways and even something as small as this can make people love him less and not want to look after him when he is older.
 
Shu is off on a grocery shopping errand... work tomorrow too *sigh*....

No comments:

Post a Comment