Search This Blog

Thursday, March 31, 2011

"Social Networking"

There is actually a term called "Facebook depression", gaining popularity in today's society. Eventhough the article on it I read addressed teens with low self-esteem issues, I think it applies to a huge population of Facebook users, regardless of age.

I myself have fallen into this plenty of times, mostly for brief moments, when I see and hear about all the happy, smiling faces going to exotic places, spending great times with loving partners or hanging out with adventurous companions. These carefully picked photos and phrases (I myself am guilty of this practice) just paint a very biased picture of the world. And if one is particularly feeling down on life and wallowing in self pity, then, spending hours on Facebook comparing notes will only send them down a spiral. For me, it doesn't take long to kick myself and tell myself that these are probably the very few great things happening in their lives and that I should be happy for them in the least.

Also, I realise that the morons who write silly things and show off their imperfections are not a bad thing after all. They are some of the few who keep it real in the Facebook world.

2 comments:

  1. You're very right about the 'carefully picked photos and phrases'! Knowing that is the first step towards getting yourself OFF facebook! (:
    Cherish YOUR life.

    -s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Facebook can be a very unproductive hobby, if not used soley for the essential activities. I remembered later, that there is not only FB Depression, there is also Facebook Obsession.

    Main characteristics include obsessively reading through the News Feed on the Home page several times a day (and getting annoyed when the feeds don't change as fast as you might like it) and spying on friends' walls to see what's new in their lives and leaving comments and/or clicking "Like" buttons! OMG :D

    I am gulity as charged!

    ReplyDelete